The Government of Ireland has announced that the construction of Daisy Lodge, a new therapeutic short break centre for children with cancer, is set to commence this summer (June and August).  

The centre, located in Cong, County Mayo, is said to be the second of its kind in Ireland and will be operated by Cancer Fund for Children (CFFC).  

The announcement was made by Ireland’s Health Minister Stephen Donnelly during a visit to the centre’s site on 3 May.  

The €15m ($16m) project to build the new Daisy Lodge is being funded through public fundraising and a contribution from the Irish government, which provided €7.5m, including €5m from the Department of Health and €2.5m from the Shared Island Fund.  

This funding was disclosed by the Department of Health in June last year. 

As per the plan previously proposed by CFFC, Daisy Lodge in Cong will encompass a 30,000ft² non-clinical facility designed to offer a therapeutic respite for children with cancer and their families.  

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

It aims to complement the services provided by the existing Daisy Lodge in Newcastle, County Down, which has been operational since 2014. 

With the addition of the new centre, CFFC plans to expand its support to 4,000 children and parents annually, a significant increase from the current capacity of 1,800.  

The centre will provide free therapeutic short breaks to families from both Ireland and Northern Ireland, with referrals coming from CFFC’s team of Cancer Support Specialists deployed across Ireland. 

CFFC has pledged that 70% of the new centre’s visitors will be from Ireland, with the remaining 30% from Northern Ireland.

This distribution mirrors the visitor demographics of the existing centre in County Down.  

Families visiting Daisy Lodge for a second time will be encouraged to stay at the alternate location, fostering shared experiences among children and families from different communities on the island. 

Donnelly said: “I’m delighted to visit the site today and see the progress with the enabling works and that we’re on track to commence the full construction this summer.  

“Partnering with Cancer Fund for Children on the funding of a second Daisy Lodge means we will establish a vital service based in the West of Ireland for children from across the island.” 

He added: “Our National Cancer Strategy recognises the essential role played by the voluntary and charity sector in providing cancer support services.”