Community Health Systems has agreed to acquire a majority ownership of 227-bed IU Health La Porte Hospital in La Porte and 50-bed IU Health Starke Hospital in northwestern Indiana.

The deal will be executed by the company’s subsidiaries, which will assume 80% ownership of the hospitals, while Indiana University Health will have the remaining 20%.

With the addition of these hospitals, Community Health Systems affiliates will operate 11 hospitals in Indiana.

Community Health Systems chairman Wayne Smith said: "We will support the work of these hospitals to improve the overall health of their communities by investing capital and expanding resources for physicians and employees to deliver high-quality care.

"With the addition of these hospitals, Community Health Systems affiliates will operate 11 hospitals in Indiana."

"Economic development efforts in northwest Indiana between Valparaiso and South Bend and a new relationship with IU Health make these hospitals strong additions to our network of facilities."

Community Health Systems is one of the largest publicly traded hospital companies in the US and a leading operator of general acute care hospitals in communities across the country.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The company, through its subsidiaries, leases or operates 197 affiliated hospitals in 29 states with an aggregate of 30,000 licensed beds.

In collaboration with Quorum Health Resources, the company announced plans for a spin-off transaction to create a new, publicly traded company, Quorum Health Corporation, with 38 affiliated hospitals and related outpatient services in 16 states.

The transaction is expected to be completed during the first quarter of this year.