The Government of Ontario in Canada has approved the commencement of construction works for a new West Lincoln Memorial Hospital (WLMH) on the new Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) site.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held recently and the project is slated to move into the construction phase soon.

This comes after EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare (EDIH) secured a $173.85m (C$224m) contract to design, build and finance the healthcare project.

As agreed, EDIH will work with HHS and Infrastructure Ontario to deliver the hospital. It will be developed behind the existing facility.

The hospital will remain operational during the construction works.

Hamilton Health Sciences president and CEO Rob MacIsaac said: “The pandemic has shone a bright light on the need for continued investment in modern health care facilities designed to meet the highest standards of safety and enable health care workers to provide the most exceptional experience possible for patients and families.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“We are excited about the future of WLMH as a site of HHS and are grateful to the government for its unwavering support to build a modern hospital in this region.”

The new WLMH hospital will feature 100% single-patient rooms, double the current operating room capacity and will offer an ambulatory care programme.

The Ministry of Health has committed to bear 90% of the project costs. The remaining 10% as well as related furniture, fixtures and equipment (FF&E) costs will be raised through a local share campaign.

Ontario Minister of Infrastructure Kinga Surma said: “Our government is proud to be investing more than $40 billion over the next 10 years in hospital infrastructure, including about $27 billion in capital grants.

“This includes Ontario’s support of the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital development project, which moves to the next stage of its development today.”

Earlier this year, Ontario announced an investment to expand William Osler Health System in Canada.