Intersurgical offers a range of Oral Care toothbrushes and kits to help target Ventilator Associated...
Intersurgical is delighted to confirm its revolutionary single use, supraglottic airway, i-gel, is now indicated for use in resuscitation as well as in anaesthesia.
i-gel was launched in 2007 and has since become the supraglottic airway of choice in many hospitals in the UK, Europe and across the world. The rapid and easy insertion, improved safety provided by the gastric channel, low post-operative complications and high seal pressures, provide benefits to both clinician and patient1.
A number of case reports and clinical studies have since highlighted the potential advantages i-gel offers in the resuscitation scenario2,3,4,5, where seconds can make all the difference. With its unique, soft, non-inflatable cuff, valuable time is not wasted deflating and inflating a cuff. This allows a patent airway to be established in the quickest possible time. In many cases, insertion can be achieved in less than 5sec6.
For personnel suitably trained and experienced in the use of airway management devices and advanced life support techniques, i-gel now offers a new and exciting option for establishing a patent airway during resuscitation of the unconscious patient.
1. Richez B, Saltel L, Banchereau F, Torrielli, Cros AM: A new single use supraglottic airway with a noninflatable cuff and an esophageal vent: An observational study of the i-gel: Anesth Analg. 2008 Apr;106(4):1137-9.
2. Gatward JJ, Thomas MJC, Nolan JP, Cook TM: Effect of chest compressions on the time taken to insert airway devices in a manikin: Br J Anaesth. 2008 Mar;100(3):351-6.
3. Gabbott DA, Beringer R: The i-gel supraglottic airway: A potential role for resuscitation?: Resuscitation. 2007 Apr;73(1):161-2.
4. Soar J: The i-gel supraglottic airway and resuscitation – some initial thoughts: Resuscitation. 2007 Jul;74(1):197.
5. UK Resuscitation Council Advanced Life Support Guide (5th Edition). Revised June 2008.
6. Bamgbade OA, Macnab WR, Khalaf WM: Evaluation of the i-gel airway in 300 patients. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008 Oct;25(10):865-6.
Intersurgical has announced it will be showing its full range of respiratory products at ESICM...
The i-gel is an innovative second-generation supraglottic airway with a soft, gel-like, non-inflatable cuff. The...
In addition to a standard range of laryngeal mask airway and the MRI compatible non-ferrous...