William Osler Health Centre, Brampton, Canada


William Osler Healthcare Group is building a new hospital facility in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, to operate as an open public hospital and general healthcare centre. William Osler Health Centre provides health services to the residents of Ontario. As the population is growing at the rate of 30,000 new residents annually, there are increasing requirements for health services, which resulted in a need for the new hospital.

The CA$550 million project comprises the design, construction and commissioning of a 608-bed hospital which is likely to be the first public-private partnership model project in the region. Construction work began in November 2004 and the hospital is scheduled to open in 2008. William Osler Health Centre and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care are sponsoring the project.

William Osler Health Centre, in accordance with the Public Hospitals Act, will continue to provide, operate and govern the clinical patient care services and support services.

SPECIFICATIONS

The new hospital will house 608 beds and 20 operation rooms over 1.2 million ft² of space. It will be able to accommodate 90,000 emergency visits, 110,000 outpatient visits and 4,250 births per annum. The project aims at expanding oncology services, ambulatory services, renal dialysis lab and cardiac catheterization. The hospital will handle 160,000 ambulatory care visits and 89,000 emergency department visits.

WORK IN PROGRESS

Construction work on the new project, said to be the one of the largest health infrastructure projects underway in Canada, is in progress. More than 750 workers are involved in the project.

The construction works on the diagnostic and therapeutic building, inpatient tower and central utility / parking unit are scheduled for completion in July 2007.

The existing Brampton Memorial Hospital Campus has 350 inpatient beds and can handle approximately 70,000 emergency visits. Once the new hospital is opened, the existing one will continue as an acute care hospital and will be renovated. Renovation works on the third floor of Brampton Memorial Hospital are already in progress to accommodate 24 additional acute medical beds in palliative care.

The Ministry of Health and the William Osler Health Centre have decided to decommission the outdated parts of the Lynch St campus once the new facility becomes operational. This will progress along with the construction of new buildings in order to continue acute care services.

FINANCING

The hospital and the community are contributing 30% of the total construction cost of the new hospital, while the Province of Ontario is providing the other 70%.

The Healthcare Infrastructure Company of Canada (THICC), a special purpose project company established by the sponsors, Carillion Canada Inc and Ellis Don Corporation, will develop the project using an Alternative Financing Partnership (AFP - similar to the Public Private Partnership model in the UK). THICC signed the concession contract on 23 November 2004.

KEY PLAYERS

Ellis Don-Carillion JV is responsible for the construction and development of the project. Carillion Services (WOHC) Inc is providing the non-clinical services (building maintenance, patient food, housekeeping, patient transportation, laundry and linen, materials management, security, parking and retail).

Borealis Capital, Carillion plc, Ellis Don are the equity providers, while a consortium of banks is funding the project.